Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Can anyone give me a good comprehensive website so as I can Identify a species of tree?

I have a tree with simple rounded leaves which are downy on the upper side. It bears no friut or berries but does have white flowers about 1 in in diameter. The flowers consists of 5 petals and are highly fragrant and together form a star shape. They have long white stamens with red tips. The flower buds are a semi-open fat umbrella shape and dark pink in colour with the white flower wrapped up inside and resembling a pearl. The flower/bud clusters resemble a chandalier in appearance. Blooming August - September. The tree itself is about 12-15ft high and about 8ft wide at its widest point. The growing habit ( shape ) of the tree is similar to that of the Lilac. I have inherited this tree with my new house in the UK but the tree not nessasarily be native to the UK. Any help

Can anyone give me a good comprehensive website so as I can Identify a species of tree?
A web site with a good dichotomous key (which means they ask "is it this, or is it that") is http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/cwes/forestree/T...

Follow it through step by step, and hopefully it will help identify your tree.
Reply:is it not a dogwood


No comments:

Post a Comment