Monday, February 13, 2012

What's the best type of lilac for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

My miniature poodle recently passed away and I was hoping to mark her burial site with a lilac bush since she always seemed to enjoy sitting next to them. The site where it would be planted has clay soil, is fairly windy, and gets full sun. I would prefer it to have white flowers, but mostly I just want it to be a very hardy one that would last a long time. Thank you.

What's the best type of lilac for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?
Common lilac (Syringa vulgaris) is grown rather successfully on Mackinaw (sp) Island. It's pretty harsh there. They are hardy to USDA hardiness zone 3.



As far as a few I really like:

consider the Fr. Fiala lilacs:

Little Boy Blue (one that I grow), Albert Holden (deep violet), and Arch Mckean (Wine-red).

I also like:

Belle de Nancy %26amp; Katherine Havemeyer (double pink), Charles Joly (double wine-red), Madame Lemoine (double white).



If you want something a little different, try late lilac, Syringa villosa. They bloom in June (USDA hardiness zone 5, metro-Detroit), I can't say when they'll bloom in your area, but 2-4 weeks later than common lilacs.



I hope that this helps
Reply:My deepest sympathy for your recent loss. We have siberians and know that pets become like family.



Nature Hills Nursery has a white lilac bush:



http://www.naturehills.com/new/product/s...



Also ... here are a couple of pet memorial sites if you also wanted to add a stone under the lilac bush:



http://www.4everinmyheart.com/?gclid=COf...

http://www.4pawsforever.org/pages/stones...



May your memories always be pleasant!


No comments:

Post a Comment